Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sacré-Cœur Basilica and the Montmartre Neighborhood of Paris

When I was fresh out of High School my sister and I took an epic backpacking trip to Europe. After a month of traveling all over Europe we ended our trip in Paris. I had done an incredible job of keeping a journal and carried this in my backpack along with my camera, mini-disc Player, etc. As we were sitting on the steps of the Sacre-Coeur Basilica in Paris listening to a local play his guitar I was feeling pretty dang good. At that moment a young gypsy girl came and sat very close to me and acted like she feel. I looked over and asked if she was okay and when I turned back around my backpack had been stolen (her falling was meant to distract me so that her partner could steal my bag). Despite my sister and I trying to chase them through the streets of Paris (for about 5 minutes) my backpack was gone along with my journal, camera and everything else. Needless to say this experience really gave me a bad taste in my mouth for Sacre-Coeur Basilica and the Montmartre neighborhood that surrounds hit. However, in November of 2009 when Lindsay and I took a late fall trip to Europe with her mom and sister we were determined to show them around this part of the city. It was a beautiful fall day when we worked our way through Paris towards the hilly neighborhood of Montmartre. We first stopped near the Moulon Rouge so Lindsay and her sister could get some pictures. The area surrounding the Moulon Rouge is a bit seedy and it was awkward sitting there alone with my mother-in-law while Lindsay and her sister bought a new phone card. :) Eventually we made our way out of the quasi-red light district of Paris and found ourselves wandering the EXTREMELY charming cobblestone streets of Montmartre. Years earlier when I was traveling to Paris with my sister we did not take the time to explorer the area around Sacre-Coeur Basilica so it was like discovering the area all over again. There were cafes/bakeries, restaurants, quant shops and of course the most beautiful architecture all around us. It was a brisk late fall day and the leaves on the trees were blowing softly through the streets. It was truly one of those days when you realize why Paris is called “the most beautiful city on earth.” As we were exploring Montmartre we were slowly making our way up the steep streets to the beautiful Sacre-Coeur Basilica (a beautiful white domed church that sits high on a hill above Paris). Because of my previous bad experience in this place we were all extra sensitive to the pick-pocketers (which are EVERYWHERE in this particular part of Paris). I am almost positive I saw the same group of gypsies that stole my backpack 10 years earlier but this time they were trying to get people to sign a waiver which would distract them while someone steals their stuff. We rushed right past them. :) Eventually we made our way to the top of the hill and was able to enjoy the beautiful, and expansive, views of Paris. We all just sat there for probably an hour taking in the incredible view. Lindsay and I have both been lucky enough to visit Paris on numerous occasions. Although each time it is wonderful this simple stroll through the eclectic neighborhood of Montmartre on that brisk late fall afternoon with Lindsay and her family is one of our favorite memories of Paris.




Seja o primeiro a comentar

Post a Comment