Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Getting Lost Twice on the Same Street - Aleppo, Syria

While traveling the world Lindsay and I became very confident in our ability to “learn” a city very quickly.  This of course means that we could navigate through the main sections of the city with relative ease and flexibility.  However, our confidence backed fired on us, mostly me, two nights in a row in Aleppo Syria.  The section of the city where we were staying was called “old city” and had thousands of narrow, winding roads that all looked very similar.  One night when walking back to our guesthouse I thought for sure we were on the right road (alleyway) but we ended up getting extremely lost.  We never felt scared, as Aleppo is full of some of the most hospitable people on earth, but is was a little nerve racking as it was getting late and there were no taxis around.  Eventually we made it to a main square and were able to catch a taxi back to our guesthouse.  The next night we were walking back to our hotel via the same route but this time I was extremely confident that we were not going to get lost (as I had learned my lesson the night before).  However, after a few minutes we realized that we were not on the right road (alleyway).  Furthermore, after a few more minutes we realized we were actually on the road that we had previously gotten lost on the night before.  Needless to say we felt extremely dumb.  We laughed about this for hours because earlier in the trip (while in Istanbul Turkey) I had thought I knew exactly where our hotel was located and told Lindsay to “trust my travel senses.”  This time we were following my “travel senses” and it got us lost…twice…on the same road. :)


Seja o primeiro a comentar

Post a Comment