Sunday, December 4, 2011

The True “Southern Black Church” Experience – Valdese, North Carolina

While serving my mission I had the great pleasure of visiting numerous “black churches” in the south. Just the average Sunday church service is an experience in itself with the band playing, choir singing and people clapping it is almost impossible to not jump up and sing “hallelujah.” I wanted so badly to share this experience with Lindsay and was ecstatic when we found ourselves in Valedese North Carolina on a sunny Sunday afternoon in June 2007. Valdese is home to Mt Zion Baptist Church which was my favorite black church in the mission. As we walked in that Sunday morning I wish so badly that I could have taken a picture of Lindsay’s face. We were literally the only white people (maybe one other person) amongst a tight knit group of black southerners. However, as you would expect they were as accommodating as could be and every single one of them greeted us with a warm smile. They even had us stand up and introduce ourselves in front of the whole congregation. Due to some miscommunication on my part Lindsay stood up to introduce herself right as they were moving on and to this day will not let me live this down. :) The rest of the service included some fantastic songs, great preaching and even some “catching of the spirit” dancing. It really was the ultimate southern black church experience. I truly believe that until a person has experienced this they don’t know what “true worship” is. Lindsay and I will never forget the Sunday we shared with our friends at Mt Zion Baptist Church in Valdese, North Carolina.

Seja o primeiro a comentar

Post a Comment