Monday, March 9, 2009

Samoeng Loop:

One of the quintessential experiences when backpacking around Thailand is to rent a scooter. In the beautiful mountain town of Chang Mae Lindsay and I decided to have this experience. I had read in numerous blogs about this incredibly beautiful mountain road called the "Samoeng Loop." I had visions of cruising along this mountain highway watching the little farms, beautiful streams and majestic mountains pass us by. This is exactly how it was, however, we first had to conquer a few hurtles:

1. They drive on the left in Thailand (the owner of the shop kept saying "always on the left").
2. Traffic is incredible chaotic.
3. I have the worse luck in the world with Motorcycles.

We found a cute little rental place right in the center of the city, I handed them my passport and 10 minutes later we were cruising along on a little red scooter. Although I had read a lot about this loop I was not entirely sure how to get there, all I was going off of was the memorized "google earth" images in my head. On one of the busiest roads in Chang Mae I was not paying attention and all of the sudden I felt Lindsay squirm; when I looked up we were headed right for the back of the car in front of us...we literally skidded to a stop inches from the car! Anyway, after a lot of turns and dead ends we finally found our way to the Samoeng Loop. It ended up being everything we had imagined and more. We took our time stopping at the occasional waterfall and valley view. The hills were dotted with little huts and farms and the green forest surrounding the road was spectacular. We will simply never forget it!



Seja o primeiro a comentar

Post a Comment